Thursday, December 10, 2009

Vintage 50s Wuyi Shui Xian Oolong


Finding a decent traditional high fired oolong is hard these days. Looking for a properly aged Wuyi Shui Xian is harder, so stumbling over a 50 years + high fired aged Wuyi is by fate not by quest.

It took me a life long dedication on a single tea shop to finally convince the owner whose tea I am worthy of. Not just any tea, but his own self roasted Main Cliff Shui Xian made more than 50 years ago.

The oldest high grade water fairy I had was a 26 year old vintage Heaven's Heart Cliff Wuyi. It tasted like aged Moutai wine as I recorded. This one, when drinking with the owner it tasted like XO Brandy.


Smooth, Chinese medicine, brandy, aged balsamic on front. Orchid, floral, rose and clean for the finish. Wonderful structure, not a bad way to get drunk. Sweet!


I also tried it with my new 70s buffalo Shui Xian pot. I was not sure about the buffalo at first... but after I used it, it totally made sense. The head of the buffalo acts like a nob for me to open and close the lid easily. Brilliant!

4 comments:

aneglakya said...

Looking forward to this one!

sp1key said...

This sounds and definitely looks good. Aged moutai, xo brandy style hhmmm pass some this way pls

Justin said...

Absolutely amazing. I wish I had a relative that high fired and aged his own tea. I'd be over at his house everyday. ;)

toki said...

Thank you Gentlemen. Long live the Single Malt! Cheers ~ T

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.