Sunday, October 21, 2007

What is Liu An? Sheng or Cooked?




Tasting this 5+ year-old basket Liu An this weekend with my lovely wife.
Got confused a little about LA. What I understand was: 1-LA should only be using spring buds to produce. 2-Only produce once a year. 3-From Anhui province. 4-Should be aged 2-3 years prior to sales/release.

So, is this the same species closer to puerh/oolong/green or red?

The floral was very pronounced with this LA, with a good aftertaste of sweetness and beet. Unfortunately, this only lasted for 6-7 infusions before it turns into sweet water. So, was this cooked or half/half? But the tea leaves do not seem to be too dark?

Should I take on adventure into Anhui province next year.....

4 comments:

MarshalN said...

Look ok to me!

But..... sweet? I find young LA to be quite bitter and smoky, not an easy drink to down.

toki said...

Yes. Its sweet and floral! Not bitter or smoky at all.
Should not be smoky? Is the one you have got a blue hue to it? Too much fake LA in the market, trust me!! -T

MarshalN said...

I don't know, it's a bit smoky, not terribly so, I just remember it being a very harsh tea.

It was cheap too. I should've picked one up, but I didn't feel like waiting for twenty years to find out if it's any good.

Steven Dodd said...

I really like the picture of the spent leaves spread out under water. It's like a while-brewing picture, but on the plate we can see the entire batch. Be warned, I'll have to steal this idea :]

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.